Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kempyp
Starting Member

Israel
1 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:36:16  Show Profile
I created a backup image of XP machine. I restored it successfully on hardware. I tried to restore it on virtual machine but it failed to boot. Is it possible to restore it on virtual machine?
Thank you.

Nick

United Kingdom
6097 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:40:13  Show Profile
Hi

Please see our tutorial on moving XP to different hardware:

http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/07/15/HowToTransferWindowsXPToDifferentHardware.aspx

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

HEWI
Starting Member

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - July 09 2009 :  17:03:31  Show Profile
How about windows 2003 / 2008
How do you restore to new server with different hardware (disk/Raid) controller ???

In storagecraft recovery DC there is a "restore on different hardware" selection box, that fixes this problem on the fly.
And VMware Converter does this too...

It Seems, that some standard harddisk driver is installed before the image is taken, so that
is is possible to boot on this driver on the new hardware ( in vmware/HyperV/Virtual Box/Virtual Iron)
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6097 Posts

Posted - July 09 2009 :  17:09:38  Show Profile
Hi HEWI
quote:
How about windows 2003 / 2008

For Server 2003 follow the same procedure as XP. Server 2008 is much better at restoring to new hardware and will generally restore without a problem.
quote:
How do you restore to new server with different hardware (disk/Raid) controller ???

First restore to a non-RAID configuration then convert to RAID.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

HEWI
Starting Member

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - July 09 2009 :  17:19:32  Show Profile
Hi Nick.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have to understand you...
Do you meen, that i should change the driver for my HP SmartArray 6i controller to a standard IDE driver ????? - HOW....
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6097 Posts

Posted - July 09 2009 :  17:32:35  Show Profile
quote:
Do you meen, that i should change the driver for my HP SmartArray 6i controller to a standard IDE driver ????? - HOW....

It depends on your RAID setup. If you can't rebuild your array after restoring to a single disk then I guess it's not possible.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on July 09 2009 17:32:47
Go to Top of Page

kewlbreez

48 Posts

Posted - March 17 2010 :  18:33:28  Show Profile
I have a similar question. I've been seeing a lot of stuff about V2P P2V and all that. If the Macrium Image was made from an XP install on the same machine where I'm going to run the VM(iow I dual boot) is there an easy tool to use with VirtualBox? Yesterday I installed XP in a VM on my Vista machine, but it would be way cooler if I didn't have to reinstall all my apps. Just use an image of a running system with programs installed.

If you could give a few links pertaining to this P2V and V2P stuff you are aware of esp. as pertains to Macrium Images I'd appreciate it.

Go to Top of Page

john.p

868 Posts

Posted - March 18 2010 :  13:18:14  Show Profile
Hi,

We have just made a free beta release of a tool that might meet some your requirements.

You can read about it here.
http://www.macrium.com/blog/2010/03/16/HowToCreateAVirtualMachineFromAMacriumImageBackup.aspx

You are likely to encounter hardware miss-match issues which can cause problems with booting. We are working on functionality to modify the boot configuration offline to match the target VM.

For the moment, virtual box is probably your best choice of VM software as it offers most flexibility over configuring the virtual 'hardware' to most closely match your original machine.

Kind Regards
John - Macrium Support

Edited by - john.p on March 18 2010 13:18:50
Go to Top of Page

kewlbreez

48 Posts

Posted - March 18 2010 :  17:46:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by john.p

Hi,

We have just made a free beta release of a tool that might meet some your requirements.

Thanks for the info. As I messed with it a bit I realized it would be a nightmare because the OS sees itself as installed on drive H:

But I'll definitely check out the link you provided.
Go to Top of Page

kewlbreez

48 Posts

Posted - March 18 2010 :  23:34:10  Show Profile
I'm just curious. I tried this with a couple of images and got errors trying to boot. I suspect for this to work you need to image from a bootable OS sitting as the only partition on the HD?

Either that or it's because I have a fake Raid controller on the host machine. Although when I tried making a VM with VirtualBox using an XP install CD, that worked. But who wants to sit around for a week installing apps yet again?

There really needs to be some indirection built into these PCs so a user can specify an alias as the drive location for system and programs. Then you could just paste the whole shooting match in and it should boot and run. This drive X: crap is for the birds!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000